Zhitomir, one of the oldest Ukrainian cities is placed in 130 km from the capital Kiev.
884th supposed to be the year of Zhitomir founding. It was named after Kiev Princes Askold and Dir bodyguard - Zhitomir, by the legend. Zhitomir refused to serve the Prince Oleg who basely occupied Kiev and killed Princes. Zhitomir run off to the forests and built his own wooden castle on the rivers Teteriv and Kamenka junction.
On the other hand, historians prove that the city was founded as a center of Zhytichi tribe which was included to Drevlians union. And this way the name of the town is explained as "Zhito" + "Mir" which means Rye World (from Slavic or Ukrainian) because husbandry and specially rye growing was the main activity of the tribe from the ancient times.
Now Zhitomir is an administrative center of Zhitomir District. Its population is more than 270 thousands people.
Going to the city worth at least because at the quiet street Dmitrievska 5 you´ll find the unique and the only in Ukraine Museum of History of Cosmonautics. First of all you'll touch the history if you visit this museum. Seems that this place stayed in USSR forever, in epoch of great cosmic discoveries of XX century. Time as though stopped and has no power over this place. Only silence and feeling of something or someone presence. You travel to the past. To the great past of the great country, when one of the greatest civilization achievement have happened. It is manned space flight. Breathtaking starts here because of opening of universe secrets. You feel the greatness of the universe, human scantiness and the greatness of human though at the same time.
Museum complex consists of two parts. First is a house of Korolev family, where legendary designer of rocket and space technology Sergey Pavlovich Korolev was born. And the Museum of History of Cosmonautics itself is a second part. In the Cosmonautics museum you can see the "Cosmos" exhibition, the landing capsule of the space craft "Soyuz - 27" which really had been in space; the space-suite which was used by cosmonaut Yu. P. Artyukhim, specimens of the moon soil and scaled mock-up of "Lunokhod - 2" and the artificial satellite of the Earth "Oreol - 3" and others.
Anyway, you'll not regret if you visit this place!
GallerySee Zhitomir photographies
- - Founded in 884 y.
- - 1240 - town was destroyed by numerous hordes of Batu Khan
- - 1320 - Zhitomir fortress was captured by lithuanian princes.
- - 1444 - Zhitomir gained Magdeburg rights
- - After Lublin Union in 1569 the city falls under the authority of the Polish magnates
- - 1648 - Bogdan Khmelnitsky army took Zhitomir by storm; in 1651 cosaks detachments of Ivan Bogun defeated Polish army of 17 thousands near Zhitomir. That time Bogdan Khmelnitsky visited Zhitomir himself.
- - XIX c. - period of prosperity for Zhitomir
- - 1804 - Zhitomir became an administrative center of Volyn province by decree of the tsar government
- - 1802 - 1809 - great russian military leader M. I. Kutozov visited Zhitomir many times during this period
- - 1896 - narrow-gage railroad was build between Zhitomir and Berdichev. During the First World War full gauge railway connected Zhitomir with Berdichev and Korosten
- - August 22, 1899 - tram was started.
- - during tragic 1917 year athority was changed thirteen times in the city
- - June 22, 1941 in first hours of war Zhitomir was bombarded by Hitler aviation. When city was occupied, massive destruction of sick, wounded and civilian population have begun. The Nazis shot people on the eighth kilometer of Novograd-Volyn highway. There are 45 thousands civilians, 65 thousands prisoners buried in the mass graves. During of temporary occupation of Zhitomir Nazis destroyed almost all industrial enterprises and institutions of the city.
- - the city was revived after the war and now Zhitomir is an administrative center of Zhitomir region. It's population is now over 270 thousands people.
Zhitomir is a major transportation hub in Ukraine. The city stood on the important route from the Kiev to west anciently. And now it is international way - M-06 (E 40) Kiev-Chop
Following roads begin in Zhitomir also:
M-21 E 583 - Zhitomir - Mogilev-Podolsky (through Vinnitsa)
H-03 Zhitomir - Chernovtsy (through Khmelnitsky)
P-18 Zhitomir - Stavishe (through Skvira)
P-28 Zhitomir - crossing point of the Ukrainian-Belarus border "Vystupovychi" (via Korosten, to Mozyr and Minsk)
Many famous names of culture and science are related with Zhitomir. In particular, following writers have been born here - Chaim Nachman Bialik, Vladimir Korolenko; Academician S.P. Korolev, pianist Sviatoslav Richter and others..
Visit in Zhitomir
- - As stated above, be sure to visit the museum of history of astronautics.
- - Zhitomir local history museum. It was established in 1865 y (Zamkova Sqr., 1)
- - Zhitomir museum of Nature with many interesting exhibitions including dinosaur bones. Located in a building of Holy Cross Church (19 c.) - Cathedral str, 14.
- - Zhitomir Art Museum (Zamkova Sqr)
- - Zhitomir Literature-Memorial museum of Korolenko (Korolenko Sqr, 1)
- - St. Sophia Catholic Cathedral and belfry (1749 year). An architectural monument of the late Renaissance and Baroque (Cathedral str.12)
- - John of Dukla Seminary Church, built in 1842 (Kievskaya str., 4)
- - St. Michael's Cathedral constructed 1856. Legendary pianist Sviatoslav Richter was baptized here (Keivskaya str, 18)
- - Lutheran Church 1896 (Kotsyubynskogo str)
- - You can just walk around and sit in a cafe on the "Zhitomir Kreschatyk" - a pedestrian street Mihailovskaya, which is a monument of architecture of the late 19 - early 20 c.
- - You can also relax in a variety of parks, on the banks of Teteriv river where landscapes are really unforgettable...
Gallery is Empty